The employment search process can be very trying, especially if you do not have a plan! Here are a few tips in the employment search process:
- Read the local paper and not just the classifieds. Take a more proactive approach by reading the local news and seeking out employers in the area based on their growth, expansion, and opening of new a facility.
- Work with staffing services in your area. Many reputable staffing services have established relationships with local employers. Companies, such as Debbie's Staffing, can open the door to a wider range of jobs.
- Network, network! Networking is how 70-80% of the best jobs are filled, especially in today's economy. You must network effectively and creatively.
Now, that you have landed that interview, what do you do? After working hard to get the interview, many have made the mistake of not preparing for the interview. Here are a few tips to prepare you for the interview process:
- Research the company before the interview.
- Make sure you know where to go for the interview.
- Dress professionally.
- Make sure your resume is flawless and have several copies of your resumes and your references available during the interview.
- Practice interviewing. Get a friend and run through potential interview questions.
- Go alone. Do not take children or friends.
- Greet the employer with a firm handshake.
- Make frequent eye contact.
- Smile, be polite, and try to relax.
- Listen carefully to the questions asked. Ask the interviewer to restate a question if you are confused.
- Answer questions as directly as possible.
- Be upbeat and make positive statements.
- If you've worked before, talk about what you learned from it.
- Use examples of how your skills and abilities would fit the job.
- Follow-up with a thank you note/letter.